Tuesday 16 July 2013

PUMP up the Volume? My everyday hair routine - How to create volume for fine hair


Eight products later ... I give you BIG hair! 

Were all looking for the perfect way to create beautiful volume in our hair. But some of us aren't blessed with naturally thick luscious locks so after much trial and error I've found some effective and affordable products that can help you create voluminous hair without damaging it. As I have fairly fine hair I'm always looking for natural products bursting with
vitamins that will help  to promote healthy hair and make my hair stronger and
look thicker!

To make things a little easier I've split my daily haircare routine into three sections wash, dry and style. So here goes ..

WASH -  When I was in America a few months back I stumbled across the
Aveda Invati range and fell in love instantly as it sounded right up my street. I wasted no time in carrying out some research, because if like me you have fine hair you'll know that we take no risks in this department. The invati system contains three products all containing Densiplex which is an invigorating mix of ayurvedic naturally derived ingredients. I bought the  Exfoliating shampoo (£20.50) and Thickening conditioner (£22.50)  as these products received the most positive reviews. Aveda also recommends using the 'Scalp Revitaliser' which comes in at £43 I found that this product has the least amount of reviews and the ones it did have were pretty negative hence I wasn't prepared to part with such a big amount before trying out the shampoo and conditioner first.

The Holy Grail for fine hair!

I have been using the two products for around a month now and I've definitely felt
a difference, my hair feels and looks thicker and fuller, but the best part is that my
friends have noticed (yay!) I've even gotten one of  them to start using it herself.
Although the shampoo doesn't feel luxurious and it doesn't lather up like most
shampoo's it leaves your hair feeling clean and fresh which is the most important thing right?!


DRY -  I'll towel dry and spray in some Tresseme heat defence spray all over my hair to protect it from harmful heat nasties. I'll then go in with the Aveda Voluminous tonic which works really well in fine to medium hair, (if you have thicker hair I'd recommend using something a little heavier). I'll spray the tonic straight into the roots then massage it in for a few seconds. Before flipping over my hair to blow-dry upside down. I find this gives my hair a bit of a lift and gives creates Volume that lasts all day.






STYLE - Once my hair is dry I'll brush through it with Michel Mercier Detangling Brush For Fine Hair (reduced on beautybay.com at the moment). I totally recommend buying this brush as I've found significantly less hair breakage and it also separates the hairs to give a fuller and  thicker look. DO NOT use this brush with your hair dryer as I did because it burns really easily and you'll be left with lopsided bristles :(  

Apparently the bristles are precisely placed to cause minimum breakage #fancy
Once I've brushed through, I'll use my Remington Pro Volume Styling brush which I bought from wowcher.com for £19,  sadly this deal is over but you can get it easily from boots for around £25. I tend to use the heated styling brush as this tames any fly-aways but maintains much more volume then a straightner does. It also doesn't get as hot as a straightener so its a little more kinder to your hair! But you have a frizzier mane I would recommend using a straightener instead as you won't get that same sleek finish. I'll then tease the hair using my Babylis teasing comb to secure volume around the crown and top parts of the head. My final step is to squirt  a little Aussie Dual personality Aussome Volume and Gloss hairspray (this isn't the one in the picture as I've run out, but Aussie hair-sprays in general are pretty awesome) to secure all the hard work you've just done and to ensure that volume lasts all day. (the good news is It usually does!) Tip here would be to spray it into the air and walk through it to keep hair looking bouncy and natural!






Do's and Dont's

Do Carry the teasing comb with you during the day to top up any flattened jushz (you know what I mean right?!)
Do invest in Aveda's Invati range (can't vouch for revitaliser just yet)

Don't use too much Aveda Voluminising Tonic it can make your hair look greasy (one to two squirts)

Don't use too much hair sprayer as this is the 'ultimate Volume slayer'



Really hope this helps you achieve that effortless Volume, trust me I know how difficult it is to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment