Monday 25 November 2013

Back to basics ... Coconut oil beauty benefits


Recently I've been doing some research into going back to basics on beauty.  One product that I've come across time and time again is coconut oil … I call it the magic substance! It’s packed with anti-bacterial qualities, SPF, and a whole lot of vitamins and minerals! It really does seem to be the one stop shop for all things health and beauty.


My Grandma is a firm believer in the powers of this oil and is convinced that her flawless skin and luscious locks have been sustained over the years because of her religious use! She’s always telling me to steer clear of all the ‘chemicals’ we put on our face and warns me that they’ll  ruin me one day … GOD FORBID! Now I know  grans words are a little extreme, but I thought there’s no harm in giving it a go and I am so glad that I did … after some trial and error I've comprised a list of what I believe to be the oils best uses. Of course I still use many of my cult skin products but switching them up for a vegan natural alternative once in a while is really healthy. I’d definitely recommend giving it a go too!

So here's a list of my favorite coconut oil uses 

On the skin as a basic lotion
 melts from
 the heat of your hands instantly!

As an eye-makeup remover

To lighten age spots when rubbed directly on the skin

To prevent stretch marks during pregnancy


To help increase sun tolerance and avoid burning

As a naturally SPF 4 sunscreen

In homemade lotion recipes

As a massage oil

A tiny dab rubbed on your hands and then through hair will help get rid of friz

As an intensive night time facial moisturizer

Mixed with equal parts sugar for a smoothing body scrub (use in the shower)

Rubbed on lips as a natural chap stick

As an incredibly intensive natural conditioner- Rub into dry hair, put a shower cap on and leave for several hours

Can help sooth eczema

As a naturally antibacterial skin cream

As a natural shave cream and after shave lotion

When used consistently on skin it can help get rid of cellulite

Can reduce the itch of mosquito bites

Can help resolve acne when used regularly

Can be rubbed into scalp daily to stimulate hair growth

On split ends to de-frizz

On hands after doing dishes to avoid dry skin

Many use it as an anti-aging facial moisturizer

On cuticles to help nails grow

Rub into elbows daily to help alleviate dry, flaky elbows


I find this to be extra useful in these cold winter months! Sometimes moisturizers are just not enough, coconut oil helps to replenish and nourish the skin to help lock in the moisture.

Peak- Packed with natural goodness and really helps with dry skin.
Pit - Can get a little messy to use.


I bought this jar from Holland and Barret for £11.99 but I'd recommend a super-market as they sell them a lot cheaper!
(Asda -£4!)



No comments:

Post a Comment